Ontario is launching the Ontario Tools Grant to help new apprentices in the automotive, construction and service sector trades purchase equipment.
A total of $2.5 million in 2020-21 and $7.5 million in 2021-22 will be provided by the province.
The funding amounts are as follows:
- $1,000 for those in motive power sector trades
- $600 for those in construction and industrial sector trades
- $400 for those in service sector trades
To be eligible for the new grant, apprentices must have:
- completed level 1 training on or after April 1, 2020
- an active registered training agreement
- been registered as an apprentice for at least 12 months
The government is also forgiving more than $10 million in outstanding loans owed by apprentices for work-related purchases made at the beginning of their careers through the Loans for Tools, a program that allowed roughly 19,000 apprentices to buy tools, equipment, clothing, manuals and code books required for their trade.
Premier Doug Ford will be providing another COVID-19 update to Ontarians today at 1:00 p.m. at Queen's Park.
He will be joined by Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, and Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development, to make the announcement.
Village Media will carry the livestream, so stay tuned.